Monday, 25 April 2011

First day's 6th leg - Dirt road to De Hoop Nature reserve

This continues the series of my Motorcycle Adventure travels from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth which is the first goal, over a two day period. Details of the whole trip here.

Next on this leg was to turn off onto the R317 and head towards Bredasdorp on the gravel road, a trip of 113km assuming you take all thr correct turn offs! The plan was to head through Bredasdorp and out the other side. As it turned out I took the wrong turning right and did an extra 20km of unnecessary travel.


Here are some of the pictures of this leg of the journey.

This is the lovely tar road to Arniston - I did the extra 20km on it before I checked the sat nav!

This is what I'd been wiating for the Gravel roads for miles
As you can see they are in pretty good shape for an easy ride

Although not obvious here, there was a strong 55km/h side wind that was making me drive at an angle on the dirt, and the long shadows meant there was not much day light left.

The magnificent view as you reach the first crest of the hill from the entrance to De Hoop Nature Reserve. You can see right down to the sea.

To the right is the Vlei and if you look carefully you will see the main camp along the river banks.

There was an abundance of various types of buck grazing all over near the main camp



I was surprised they didn't seem to mind the motorcycle too much and I could get quite close.


De Hoop on this trip was certainly not done justice on my behalf. I believe a few days needs to be spent here doing the nature trails along the beach and through the bush to really absorb the beauty of this splendid place. I arrived just as the sun was setting and had to leave first thing the next day, but the food was amazing. The next blog will tell of my food surprise.

More tours on our list of tour route summaries are available, where we explore these sorts of motorcycle adventure tour routes. Just choose one of our events and reserve yourself a place on one of the future motorcycle adventure safari events. 

Check out the main website: http://www.africa4adventure.com

No comments:

Post a Comment